Happy Earth Day friends! In honor of today, I am sharing some helpful nuggets of wisdom I recently learned from the brilliant blog Zero Waste Home.
I hope it inspires you to love and protect our planet even more!
4 Rules for a Zero Waste Lifestyle
- Refuse the things we do not need.
- Reduce the things we do need
- Reuse by buying secondhand and/or swapping anything disposable for another reusable alternative
- Recycle only what you cannot refuse, reduce or reuse
Every little purchase we make, we are creating a demand for more.
When condoning the practice we are supporting what is unsustainable.
1 person’s daily decisions can make a huge difference.
Huge Small Ways to Save the Planet:
- Junk mail. Do not even receive it. Everytime you put those advertisements and coupon booklets in the trash, you are silently asking for them to send you more. Visit Cataloguecgoice.org or Optoutprescreen or DMA Choice to get yourself off their mailing list!
- Use reusable grocery bags, a backpack and skip out on the plastic.
- Don’t accept flyers that are handed out in the street.
- Decline the plastic pens, keychains, and endless brochures that are given our at fairs and conferences.
- Use a menstrual cup. I started using the Lena Cup six months ago, and it’s amazing. Not only am I saving a ton of money by not buying products every month, but it is super easy to use and you can reuse it a ton. No waste and no bleached chemicals going into our bodies – yay!
- Get your free eco-friendly bamboo toothbrush at The Giving Brush.
- Say no to straws – opt for a reusable bamboo straw or take the lid off
- Those paper cups from Starbucks came from a tree somewhere! Bring a reusable coffee cup to your local coffee shop. I love the quality-made cups from Corkcicle!
I hope these little tips inspire you to make small changes in your daily life. It’s important to remember that this isn’t a black or white issue. One doesn’t have to a hippie, vegan-loving minimalist in order to live a life with zero waste. There is an in between – a balance in living the lifestyle we want but also making small daily changes to help protect our oceans, our wildlife and this magnificent earth we are lucky enough to live and breathe on. Now get on out there and enjoy the outdoors!